Gun-running trial: Dino Melaye allegedly kidnapped, fails to appear in court

Dino Melaye

The lawmaker representing Kogi West, Senator Dino Melaye has reportedly been kidnapped by armed men who blocked his way with Hilux van and a Sienna bus at Gwagwalada on his way to Lokoja to appear before the magistrate court.

The Senator representing Bayelsa East, Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, made this known on Thursday, citing the Kogi senator’s brother.

Melaye is facing separate charges for alleged gun-running and attempted suicide. He was among the 14 senators who defected from the All Progressives Congress, APC, on Tuesday.

Yesterday, Melaye was arraigned before the Abuja High Court sitting in Apo by the police and was granted bail in the sum of N5 million. The lawmaker was arraigned on a six count charge of attempted suicide, escape from custody and damage of police property.

Murray-Bruce wrote, “I have just been informed by Moses Melaye, @dino_melaye’s brother, that Dino has been abducted by unknown persons in a Toyota Sienna that blocked their car and overpowered them on their way to Kogi to answer to Dino’s court case. Lets be on the watch out. Will keep you updated.”

At the court, Melaye’s lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome SAN, who was represented in the court by Barrister Yemi Mohammed, told the trial magistrate, Suleyman Abdalah that he had it on good authority that Melaye was attacked in Gwagwalada on Wednesday on his way home from the court.

“I learnt that he was attacked yesterday in Gwagwalada on his way home from the court. Up till now, I have not been able to reach him. I don’t know where he is at the moment,” he said.

However, the officer in charge of police prosecution, Theophilus Oteme, told the court that the prosecution counsel had an emergency Thursday that made it extremely difficult for him to appear in court.

He therefore asked for long adjournment to September 23. His request was opposed to by the trial magistrate as “it contravened administration of criminal justice law of Kogi state as amended”

The magistrate therefore adjourned till August 9 for commencement of trial.

Leave a Reply