The fact-finding panel put together by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on alleged underage voting in the last local council elections in Kano state says it has not received any evidence of the purported underage voting.
Chairman of the committee, Abubakar Nahuce, told journalists on Friday that no evidence of underage voting has emerged from his committee’s interaction with civil society organisations and media.
According to him, “From the interaction with civil society organisations and media, no evidence of underage voting has been presented.
“We have discussed with you media men, but none of you said he saw any underage voter in the line on election day.
“All what we saw were from social media and they are not verifiable… some of them (pictures and videos) are not even from Nigeria, some are from Kenya elections but people are attributing them to Nigeria.”
“From all what we have seen and discussed with you media men, none of you has seen any underage voter in the line or voting,” Nahuce averred.
Newsworth recalls that INEC set up the committee following public outcry that greeted videos and photos of underage voting believed to have been shot during the Kano election.
So far, the team has met with the chairman of the Kano Sate Independent Electoral Commission, KANSIEC, the media and other relevant bodies.