Why spend $1bn on an ‘already defeated’ Boko Haram – PDP mocks FG

0
78
Prince Uche Secondus

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Friday taunted the APC-led Federal Government over the claimed approval for the withdrawal of $1bn to be used in fighting Boko Haram terrorists in the troubled North-East.

Newsworth recalls that at the end of Thursday’s National Executive Council, NEC, meeting in Aso Villa, Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo state told State House correspondents that state governors have permitted the Federal Government to withdraw $1bn from the Excess Crude Account, ECA, to be used in confronting Boko Haram terrorists.

Reacting to this disclosure on Friday, the main opposition party wondered why the government would be in need of such amount of money after it claimed that the terrorists have been defeated.

The PDP also wondered why the APC-led Federal Government had to recourse to the National Economic Council, NEC, while “avoiding the direct constitutional appropriation channel of the National Assembly for funding of items already provided for in the federal budget if it actually has nothing to hide”.

While pointing out that it supports the fight against insurgency and holds troops fighting terrorists and securing Nigeria’s territorial integrity in high esteem, the party raised concerns over “the manipulative tendencies connected with the approvals as well as the veracity of claimed purpose of the fund”.

This was contained in a statement issued by the PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, which challenged the government to come clean and tell Nigerians the whole truth since it would take a billion dollar from the Excess Crude Account to kill what had been long claimed to be dead.

It stated that “the era of lies and propaganda is long gone and Nigerians now know the truth. The Federal Government must be held accountable and stopped from any move to fritter away our national savings.

“We therefore call on the National Assembly to interrogate this proposed disbursement and subject it to a thorough but rapid interrogation”.

The opposition party also noted that the development has rubbished the integrity of the President Muhammadu Buhari administration and demanded that it apologize to Nigerians for lying to them about the actual state of the fight against insurgency in Nigeria.

“By accepting the $1bn for fighting insurgency, the APC-led Federal Government has admitted that it lied when it announced that it has defeated the insurgents. They should therefore apologize to Nigerians for giving them a false sense of security, resulting in their vulnerability to attacks by terrorists.

“The PDP recalled that the three points upon which APC hinged their promise were security, corruption and economy and it is apparent that they have failed in all.

“On the economy, they have taken us into recession; on security, Boko Haram is still ravaging our people; on the corruption, the APC Government has only embarked on witch hunt of the opposition while enmeshed in monumental corruption thriving unabated right inside the engine of its administration.

“The PDP vowed to ensure the APC does not continue to play with the intelligence of Nigerians, who are now only waiting for 2019 to consign them into the dustbin of history,” Ologbondiyan said.

Leave a Reply