Former President Goodluck Jonathan has raised an alarm that certain faceless and unidentified persons are hell bent on tarnishing his reputation but expressed optimism that he will prevail in the end.
Jonathan, who is currently monitoring the presidential runoff election in Sierra Leone, said this less than a week after Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo had disclosed last week that ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration spent only N153 billion on infrastructure in the three years preceding 2014, N150 billion was shared in just two weeks before 2015 elections.
Newsworth recalls that the Vice President had said, “In one single transaction, a few weeks to the 2015 elections, sums of a $100,289 million were just frittered away by a few. When you consider that in 2014, as the Minister of Finance has said, that oil price was an average of $110 a barrel and only N99 billion was spent on power, works and housing and when we talk about the economy, we talk as if these are normal by every standard”.
The immediate past president had denied the allegation, challenging Osinbajo to substantiate his claim.
On Sunday night, newsmen gathered from the presidency that there was evidence that the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, got specific instruction to ensure that billions were moved from the apex bank were moved directly to the residence of Jonathan prior to the last general elections.
A source in the presidency was quoted as saying, “In one single transaction, a few weeks to the 2015 elections, sums of N100billion and $295million were just frittered away by a few.
“We saw from the presentation of the minister of finance that N14 billion was spent on agriculture in 2014, transportation N15 billion, so the total spent on infrastructure in those three years were N153 billion and in two weeks before the elections, N150 billion was essentially shared.”
This was about the same time that a report in the UK Guardian had it that billionaire supporter of Jonathan reportedly hired SCL, a data analytics company, to paint President Muhammadu Buhari bad in the buildup to the 2015 elections. The report added that the fixers for the Jonathan campaign hacked into Buhari’s medical and financial records, in a bid to sway the decision of the electorate on regarding the historic election.
However, in a post on his Facebook page on Sunday night, Jonathan said he had been informed that faceless and identified persons were after him.
The post reads, “It has been brought to my attention that while I am away promoting democracy in Sierra Leone, a campaign will be unleashed against me to falsely impugn my name using both faceless and identified persons.
“When I was in power I said my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian. Even out of power, I continue to hold that belief.
“What I will say however, is that no matter how far and fast falsehood has traveled, it must eventually be overtaken by truth.”